3 asterisks

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook 3 asterisks

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    betty.marshall
    Participant

Hi Joanna
    I'm trying to find something in the 2011 Formats that describes what to do with the 3 asterisks used in print to denote a change of context. Sometimes a short horizontal line is shown. Previously, we centered 3 asterisks with a blank cell between each. In this still the case? And, can they be on line 25, and/or line 2 if a running head is used? Are there specifics about the use of blank lines instead of, or in addition to, these print symbols? Please point me to a rule that covers this use. Thanks!
    Betty

joannavenneri
    Participant

Hi Betty,

The horizontal line for the 3 asterisks is an old EBAE format that is no longer valid because EBAE formatting is no longer used. I can't find any specific mention of it in the new guidelines. And here is why they are called guidelines. I would suggest the following.

First, blank line usage for the change of context is the same. If the change of context is at line 24 or line 25, the material resumes on line 2 of the next braille page, or line 3 if there is a running head. If the change of context falls in the middle of the braille page, you have a blank line where it occurs.

I think you could populate the blank line with the three centered asterisks, because that is essentially what the print does. I don't think you would need additional blank lines before and after the asterisks.

--Joanna

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.