3-dimensional cubes, rectangles, cones …

Home Forums Tactile Graphics 3-dimensional cubes, rectangles, cones …

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Are there new rules for doing a labeled 3-dimensional cube, rectangle, or cone, and etc. as a TG?

Example: A 3-dimensional cube with 3 sides (the front, the top, and one side) labeled 20 in.

In the past a 3-dimensional cube has been done in a TG showing the front, side, top, and bottom views.

Has this changed? I can't find anything showing changes in the new TG rules.
    Thank you for your help.

dspence

I’m not sure I really understand your question. If the print shows a cube, you should be drawing a cube in braille. If some of the lines are solid and some are broken, your braille drawing should show the same distinction in lines. If the print cube includes measurements, the braille drawing should include measurements applied at the same locations…except there are specific requirements listed below showing how the measurement lines should be presented. (i.e. never break a line with the number, omit the arrowheads, make sure the measurement lines go to the endpoints of the diagram, etc.)

Are you saying that if the print showed a cube, you redrew the diagram in four parts? One part showing the front, one diagram for the side, one diagram for the top and one diagram for the bottom view?

The new rules for presenting 3-d shapes are as follow:
    Some of the basic points in Section 6.11.1 and 6.11.2 are--
    o Show the measurement lines as one solid line, don’t break the line with the measurement length
    o Don’t insert the arrowheads at the ends of the measurement lines even if they’re shown in print.
    o The measurement lines should meet the endpoint of the diagram
    o Insert a TN telling the student that the ‘hidden lines” are shown as broken lines.
    o Assure that there is a tactile distinction between the lines than can be seen and the lines that are hidden.
    o Enlarge the drawing proportionately if necessary.
    o Make the hidden lines (dashed or dotted) less prominent than the visible lines.
    o Sparingly use shading and only if required for understanding of the concept

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.