A key in print

Home Forums Tactile Graphics A key in print

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Melissa Caldwell
    Participant

Hi!

I would like to know if a key that is in print is done the same way as a key that you create? I know that 5.7.5 of the Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics says you put a key you create in transcriber's notes and if print has a key that you incorporate it. What if the only key that is being used is the print key? Do I do it the same way or is there a different rule on how to transcribe a key that is in print? I will attach an example of a simple one that is being done for a Math book.

Thank you!

Melissa

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Donald Winiecki
    Hi Melissa and thanks for reaching out to the TG Committee with your question!
    What you have is a pictograph. See the example linked in GSTG 6.7.4 (shown using Nemeth code), print page 6-55 and 6-56 for a very good example of how to render your print graphic into a tactile pictograph. While you should review all elements of 6.7, below we give some essential highlights for you as you get started.
    • The print key will be moved above the pictograph and placed to start in cell 1 (GSTG 6.7.2).
    • Note that according to GSTG 6.7.10.2, we should use braille cells only when the pictograph represents full or half-units. The partial stars in your example seem to be a little larger than 1/2, we suggest this pictograph should be produced as a raised line/tactile representation rather than only using braille cells.
    • Following GSTG 6.7.10.3, you will not have to use TN symbols in an explanation of symbols before presenting the pictograph.
    • Make sure the stars are enlarged enough to be identified by touch. We know that stars are more difficult to discriminate than circles, which only reinforces the need to make them large enough to to be identified.
    Also, refer to GSTG 6.7.9.1 in case other pictographs use more complicated shapes. 6.7.9.1 indicates we can substitute simple shapes when reproducing the actual symbols is impractical.
    Finally, refer to GSTG 6.7.9.2 for alignment of symbols to the student names.
    Let us know if this helps!
    Melissa Caldwell
    Participant

This answers my question and helps me understand more. I didn't know it was called a pictograph. Thank you for your help!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.