A zigzag line that appears ona vertical/horizontal axis line

Home Forums Tactile Graphics A zigzag line that appears ona vertical/horizontal axis line

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Treier
    Spectator

Morning. I would like to know how to create a "zigzag" line on a bar graph. I see that Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics from Braille Authority indicates that omitting material in print must be included in a graph with a zigzag line. How do I create this zigzag line? I would like to omit some lines on the y-axis but I would like for the student to know that I have done so and want to use the correct symbol. Thank you for your help!

Braillekey
    Participant

Can you please attach an example?

Elizabeth Treier
    Spectator

This example does not show the zigzag line but I do not want to show 1-18 on the Y-axis do to lack of spacing ... this is why I wanted to use the zigzag.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Braillekey
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for writing and supplying an example for viewing. First of all, since the image does not contain a zig-zag pattern, it should not be included in the braille edition. However, a transcriber’s note placed before the graphic can address your plans of editing the print content. With this in mind, your need of retaining the 18 lines of the Y-axis can be achieved by omitting every other line of this axis. Thus, only 10 lines can be used for reproducing the vertical axis. This leaves plenty of room for the x-axis lines and labels in their entirety. This guidance can be verified by referencing [G&S 6.6.1.3].

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth Treier
    Spectator

Thank you for your advice ... I will certainly adjust the numbers on the y-axis. But I would still like to know how to braille a zigzag break when there  is one in print. I have several itinerants who are working with high school students and their bar graphs may use this technique and I would like to be prepared for it! Thanks!

Braillekey
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth, the tactile graphics committee would like to reiterate the fact that zig zag patterns should not be added to a TG when they are non-existent in print. One should always strive to make the “material fit” using the G&S 6.6 Graph component guidelines as I mentioned earlier. Now in the event that these “breaks” do exist in print, follow print design. These can be spurred then thermoformed if using the collage method or drawn as lines when using graphics software. Regardless of the method used, you might want to input a transcriber’s note explaining what the interruption method is (lines, zigzags, etc.) and what these breaks achieve.

Attached please find a Cartesian zig-zag interrupted y-axis, followed by a bar-graph break image and TG transformation.

NOTE: THIS IMAGE WAS RETRIEVED FROM: https://peltiertech.com/broken-y-axis-in-excel-chart/

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.