Adding & Subtracting Integers

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Adding & Subtracting Integers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am brailling a math worksheet and have come across several problems that I am not convinced I am brailling correctly. The lesson is adding and subtracting positive and negative numbers. For example, when adding two positive numbers do I put a dot 5 between the plus sign and the following positive number sign? +10++5 =
    The same question for adding two negative numbers -10+-5 =
    For subtracting, would I do the same? Put a dot 5 between the minus sign and the positive or negative number sign.
    +10-+5 =, -10--5 =
    Thank you all so much, Jan

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Jan, thank you for your question. There is an important distinction to be made between "plus or minus" and "plus a negative number," for example. Yes, a multipurpose indicator (dot 5) must come between the two operation signs when they are printed side-by-side. All of the examples you write about must have a dot 5 between the two signs, otherwise they will be read vertically. See Nemeth Code Section 134 on page 132 to read the rule and see four examples.

Note that sometimes the print copy will show the second sign slightly raised. If this is what your worksheet shows, you should braille each raised symbol as a left superscript. If your student is not used to seeing this arrangement, encourage the vision teacher to teach it because this is how it is (correctly) brailled on standardized tests. It would do the student a disfavor to have her see it for the first time in a testing situation.

Lindy Walton

Thank you Lindy for the quick response to my question. After reading your response I went back and looked at the problems closely and found that the negative and positive number signs were just slightly raised (almost non-detectable) so therefore I will go back and braille them as left superscripts. Also, in knowing that standardized test handle these numbers as superscripts is good information that will help me in the future when this situation comes up.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.