Advice on cards

Home Forums English Braille American Edition Advice on cards

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Could you give me advice on how to braille cards, or direct me to the Rules book where I can look that up.

The cards I am thinking of would be greeting cards with minimal text. I would braille the printed text of those cards, space permitting.
    Do I follow print, and make the text centered, or would I follow a paragraph format (cell 1, runovers cell 3)?
    I would also braille (brl card) on the envelope so the blind receiver would know they can read this mail.

Thanks,
    Francine

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Apparently there is a reply on my question, however I do not see it?
    Francine

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Francine,

There are no specific rules regarding greeting cards. Space is always an issue that needs to be considered. Some volunteer groups have guidelines on how they transcribe greeting cards, but to my knowledge, there are no specific rules. Some issues to consider are as follows:
    Determine margin -- width of greeting card will determine this
    Transcribe the greeting on braille paper first, and proofread (this will tell you how much space you need for the greeting)
    Indentation -- probably best 1/1 unless verse is a poem, then use 1/3.
    Don't try to follow the same lines as print copy, as they will not coincide with braille
    Omit unneccessary capitalization -- sometimes entire phrases are capitalized in print --this is unnecessary in braille.

Remember: These are not rules ... just considerations.

Hope this helps!

Jana

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thanks for your help.
    Francine

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.