Asterisks as a symbol

Home Forums English Braille American Edition Asterisks as a symbol

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi,
    Could you please tell me how to braille an asterisk that is meant to be used as a symbol?
    Example: To lower the volume, press the * key.
    If I just put the asterisk 35,35 with a space on each side, would it be confused with a reference sign? Or would the context of the sentence make it clear? I could not find whether to put a print symbol indicator, dot 4, in front of it.

Also, how do you braille the same symbol in parenthesis?
    Example: Hold down the asterisk (*) key for one beep.
    Since there is always a space on either side of the asterisk, how do I enclose it in parentheses?

Thank you for any help you can give me! This is instructions for a talking bible and my first real project after becoming certified.
    Carol

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

In your first example, place dot 4 before the braille symbol, which is standing alone, since the usage is shown as an exact symbol. List this symbol on the special symbols page BANA Upadate 2007, Rule VIII 31.d.(10-07)
    In the second example, when a symbol is being explained in the text and is identified by name and followed by the print mark, (*) it is not necessary to include the braille symbol or its identifying dot numbers in the braille edition. BF Rule 6.1.a.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.