Barred letters in Nemeth Code

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Barred letters in Nemeth Code

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Katrina Ostby
    Participant

I have a delightful Discrete Mathematics books with capital letters, script letters, bold letters, and barred letters (such as a barred R which means the set of all real numbers). Is there a standard way of dealing with barred letters in Nemeth? Is there a recommended way? Thanks, Katrina

Katrina Ostby
    Participant

There doesn't seem to be a standard way to handle barred letters. If you weren't already having to indicate script letters, script is what I would suggest, and how most people I have discussed this with handle the symbol for the set of real numbers. Do you yourself have any suggestions? Or maybe another transcriber has found a good solution?

dworthing
    Participant

There are barred and script letters in the same equation, so I definitely can't use script for my barred letters.
    There are no barred letters in the same chapter as bold letters. That is, a chapter has bold vector letters or barred set letters, but no chapter has both bold and barred letters.
    So, I think I'll use bold to represent barred letters.
    I'll include a transcribers note in each volume explaining the use of bold in that volume.
    Thanks for asking around, Katrina

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.