BF 1997 – Graphic attached to table

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook BF 1997 – Graphic attached to table

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    brlbyrussell
    Participant

The attached page is from an Earth Science book being transcribed in Braille Formats 1997. How do I transcribe the table and the graphic and link the two together?

Here are some notes of what I see and have picked up from the surrounding text:

Figure 9 shows a graphic above / attached to the table. The 'column labels' above the graphic (Granitic, Intermediate, ...)appear to correspond to the columns in the table below 'Rock Names'.

Tactile graphic - The words inside the graphic (Muscovite, Quartz, Potassium ...) will be keyed with 2 letter keys (using textures would require 8 different textures, the solid looking black space is actually 4 different shades). The words above the 'graphic columns' (Granitic, Intermediate, ...) will also be keyed with 2 letter keys. I may place the 'graphic column labels' along the bottom like we would label a bar graph.

Table - Based on the text, the texture 'porphyritic' has origins of both 'Intrusive' and 'Extrusive'. 'Obsidian' and 'pumice' fall in each of the columns they are under, the author(s) appear to have written them once instead of 3 and 2 times. And the space under 'peridotite' is non-table.

Tied together - I'm thinking a TN to tie the table and graphic together, but I cannot think of good wording.

Please suggest how I would transcribe the table and what TN I would use to tie the two together.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

Here is a possible solution I came up with. What improvements / changes would you suggest?

brlbyrussell
    Participant

I'm unable to give a meaningful response because I don't understand this table. I am unfamiliar with the subject matter and terminology and of course I don't have the book to use as orientation. I think the column headings at the very top of the graphic might also extend down to the print table, but I can't even tell that. I suspect that his what you mean when you say the graphic is attached to the table.

Please describe in a few sentences what the relationship is here as you see and then I can possibly provide feedback regarding your treatment in braille.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Typo. I mean that THIS is what you mean when you say the graphic is attached to the table.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Back again. Upon re-reading your original statement, I now see that you did attempt to explain how this print works. The problem is that it is still difficult for me to understand and I think most general readers would have the same reaction. And you do mention references to the text, so it is very apparent that you have used the text itself as a resource. I suggest the following.

The transcriber can only transcribe what he is she sees. The graphic and the table should be transcribed separately. The graphic should follow the appropriate guidelines and best practices for graphics of this nature.

For the table, I suggest that you determine what the column headings are for the table, including any that may be repeated from the graphic itself. Observe the row headings on the left and consider the texture porphyritic that appears to apply to both the Intrusive and Extrusive origins. Consider the wide table stratetgies given in the 2007 Update, possibly listed table formats or stairstep. I think all the TN needs to say is that the table follows very closely after the graphic in print. The braille reader will have to examine both very carefully and refer back and forth just as the print reader does in order to discern the actual relationship. All the transcriber can do is to describe and present what is on the page as accurately as possibly. The transcriber's responsbility does not include explaining it, especially in this case.

--Joanna

brlbyrussell
    Participant

Thank you Joanna, I always appreciate the help.

Your suggestions will be used to rework this graphic/table and the needed TN. Particularly helpful were your comments "... repeated from the graphic itself" and "wide table strategies".

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.