BF 2011 cartoons

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook BF 2011 cartoons

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

I have single-panel cartoons with dialog in my book. There is no copyright information for them, and descriptions are needed. The braille file I've attached shows two ways of handling this, as I'm not entirely clear on the BF 2011 guidelines for this situation. Which way is correct?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

Thanks for sending both the print and the braille. Not only is there no copyright information, there is no caption of any kind. And I certainly agree that a description is needed. So what you have here is a description and dialog. I suggest using your first method. You have started with a TN in 7-5 that starts Cartoon: followed by the description. You close your TN and have the little dialog on the next line in 1-3. I think this follows all the relevant guidelines and clearly conveys the print to the reader.

The second method leaves you with Cartoon: all by itself enclosed in a TN in 7-5, which doesn't seem to serve any purpose because there is no caption. That's why I like the first method much better. It gives the reader a clear indication of which is the the text added by the transcriber and which is the actual print dialog. It shows that the print IS dialog. And of course, it tells the reader that this is a cartoon. And your description is complete, yet short and tidy. Great work.

--Joanna

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.