blank line re: attribution and three asterisks

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook blank line re: attribution and three asterisks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

This may be a literary question, but I have a situation where an attribution is followed by three centered asterisks to denote a break in context. BF2011 says nothing about the three centered asterisks, other than Appendix G saying that dots 35 should be used for asterisks not denoting a reference mark. The lesson manual, in 19.1c, says to use three centered asterisks without blank lines before or after. The lesson manual is not a rule book, I know, but it is the only thing that gives any guidance on this issue. EBAE says to use the centered and spaced dots 35 but does not mention blank lines.

BF2011 in 9.5.1d says to always leave a blank line after an attribution. "Always" is a strong, rare word in formats, so I am inclined to think that this takes precedence over anything else, especially since BF is supposed to supersede EBAE.

Related to this, the lesson manual says not to list the dots 35 asterisk on the special symbols page, but, again, since this is not a rule book and we have another symbol for reference mark asterisks, it seems to me that we should list the 35-asterisk on the special symbols page, especially if there are also reference-mark asterisks in the text.

Can you shed any light on this?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

First, apples and oranges. In addition the considerations you mention, the lesson manual is based on literary so it generally should not be consulted for formats. And I don't understand the relevance of the attribution. I really need to see this example. If this is a hypothetical, I can't help you much further than you've already helped yourself. Use the asterisk when it means an asterisk and not a reference indicator. It should be listed as special symbols. And again, the lesson manual is not appropriate for guidance about special symbols in a textbook.

--Joanna

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

I was asking for someone else, and you are right--you do need to see the print. (I know better, I do!) I can see now that three asterisks should not be used at all, since there is nothing there in print. Still, it is an interesting question. And as for apples and oranges, when one needs fruit, either will do. Thanks so much for your time.

joannavenneri
    Participant

Actually, it's been pointed out to me that there IS a black line after "Your loving son, Louie." So my question still stands. Would you put a blank line between the displayed letter and the three centered asterisks?

joannavenneri
    Participant

I don't see asterisks. I see a faint line. I see a lot of OVERTHINKING, which does not benefit the reader at all. The letter is not displayed. There is no change of margin. There is a change of context. That is why there is blank line before and after in print and why there should be one in braille. The faint line or whatever that is, is decorative and should be ignored in braille.

--Joanna

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.