Blank Line

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Blank Line

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant

Good Day! I am hoping you can assist me in understanding the rules applying to blank lines next to the page change indicator. There is some discrepancy between us about when to remove one of the blank lines when two separate formats require a blank line on each side of the page change indicator.
    According to Appendix C Blank Lines:
    When a page change indicator occurs at a place where the guidelines require a blank line before it, such as at the end of a list, and another guideline requires a blank line after it, such as before a centered heading, only one blank line is used. Place that blank line after the page change indicator.
    Does this apply to all guidelines or only to lists as provided for in section 8.3.2? For example, If a bottom box line occurs before the page change indicator (7.2.1.b) and a centered heading follows the page change indicator (4.3.4), are we required to remove the blank line between the bottom box line and the page change indicator?
    Same question as it applies to incidental notes (9.6.1) preceding a page change indicator followed by a heading (4.3.4) after the page change indicator.

joannavenneri
    Participant

There is another post with the same question. I am consulting about the answers and I'll post that as soon as I have it. Thanks for the great question. You're not the only one asking the same thing!

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

I consulted extensively on this and I'm copying over the response I just gave to the other blank line question that came in just before yours. That question is almost identical to yours and raises the very same issues. The person was asking primarily about the bottom box line, but the answers applies to all formats that require a blank line before and after and how that relates to the page turn indicator. This is the response I gave:

I suggest a trip over to Appendix C Blank Lines. The appendix does try to pull together and summarize wide-ranging topics, such as this one.

The new concept in Formats 2011 is that the page change indicator does not change anything about the use of blank lines UNLESS there is more than one format involved.

The bottom box line ends a print page. Since a blank line follows a box, there is a blank line between the bottom box line and the page change indicator. BUT if that next print page starts with a cell-5 heading, which requires another blank line, the first blank line, after the bottom box line, is omitted and the page change indicator follows immediately, followed by a blank line and the cell-5 heading. And yes, it is true that there is no exception listed in 7.2.1b, but 1.10.3c and Appendix C both say that in such cases, when two blank lines are required across a page turn indicator, the first blank line is omitted.

This same situation is true for lists and for any format that requires a blank line before and after.

The easiest way I found to see this is in the Sample 8-2. This has to do with lists, but this works for boxes as well.

At the end of the print page, look at the format that comes after the ending box, or list or whatever. Does that next format require a blank line preceding? If the box is followed by a plain old indented paragraph or something that does NOT require a blank line, the box (or list, etc.) has a blank line followed by the page turn indicator. Sample 8-2 shows this.

If the NEXT format requires a blank line preceding, then omit the blank line BEFORE the page change indicator.

Please let us know if this can be clarified further.

--Joanna

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.