Blanks entries in tables

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Blanks entries in tables

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ricia2001
    Participant

Hi Lindy. I have a question regarding a previous answer you posted in July last year regarding "information missing" in tables. (I have copied your answer from the previous post below) I have normally used a series of dot 5's if the blank signifies "no data". However, I have used the (3,6)(3,6) whenever the "information is missing". Could you please let me know where in Nemeth Code it says to use the Nemeth General Omission Symbol.
    Thanks in advance,
    Patty

Follow Braille Formats regarding the construction of the table, but follow Nemeth Code rules for items within the table. A blank space that means "information is missing" is brailled as a Nemeth general omission symbol, a printed dash is brailled as a long dash. Since Nemeth Code does not provide for blank space meaning "no data," follow Braille Formats for that (dot 5s.)

--
    Lindy Walton

ricia2001
    Participant

Thank you for bringing up this topic again -- I am often asked this question. When transcribing a document with the Nemeth Code as the primary code in use throughout the document, we are instructed to follow Braille Formats only when a topic is not discussed in the Nemeth code. The topic of tables is confusing because we are instructed to follow Braille Formats for the construction of tables. Nemeth code rules still apply to the items within the table, however. My advice which you copied from last summer comes directly from NC §57 "Omissions" which gives us directives regarding a blank space that means "information is missing": "When ... a blank space is employed in ink print to denote omission, the general omission symbol must be used in the transcription."

Lindy Walton

Thank you very much for the clarification. I am sorry to say that I had not intrepreted that to mean also in tables, but I certainly will from now on.
    Thanks again,
    Patty

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.