bold and arrow in vectors, author discusses

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science bold and arrow in vectors, author discusses

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I have a physics text which uses bold letters with arrows on top for vectors, and additionally bold operation and comparsion signs in vector equations. The author discusses the use of the bold in the preface to the book (see attached). Nemeth code (Rule V sec. 35b) tells us to omit arrows "unless the author calls special attention to them as a notational device, but a transcriber's note must be included indicating their presence in the ink print copy.

Since the author has commented on the notation, should it stand? Also, what about the bold +, -, w, and =?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I see in the above that my multiplication cross came out as a w.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I can't seem to attach a file so I am pasting the text in here. NOTE: the bold letters have ARROWS ON TOP.

Notation and units Students often have a hard time keeping track of which quantities are vectors and which are not. We use boldface italic symbols with an arrow on top for vector quantities, such as v, a, and F; unit vectors such as i, have a caret on top. Boldface +, , x, and = signs are used in vector equations to emphasize the distinction between vector and scalar mathematical operations.
    SI units are used exclusively (English unit conversions are included where appropriate). The joule is used as the standard unit of energy of all forms, including heat.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

As you stated, the code says to omit arrows from vectors if both bold type and arrows are used in the construction, unless the author calls special attention to them. I would say in this case that the arrows should be retained.

Sec. 35 of the Nemeth code says the use of 456 before operation or comparison signs to indicate boldface is limited to those signs provided for in the Code. Rule XIX provides for boldface plus and minus signs [braille]_+ and [braille]_-. Rule XX provides for boldface equal sign [braille]_.k

I am looking into the problem of the boldface multiplication sign.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I have discussed the problem of the boldface multiplication sign with our committee. The suggestion is to insert a tn stating that 456, 4, 16 indicates a boldface multiplication cross in this chapter/section/example. If the sign is used more frequently, the symbol would have to be listed on the special symbols page because it is transcriber created (not a Code symbol).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.