box at top of print page AND top of braille page

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook box at top of print page AND top of braille page

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rsherwood12
    Participant

First, I want to say thanks for all the hard work on the new Formats Guidelines! I appreciate the clarity of the layout, as well as the logic and explanations of the new Guidelines.

As the 2011 formats say to include a blank line before a top box line, I know I would skip a line between a print page flag and a top box line.

However, when the print page begins at the top of a braille page, do I need to include a blank line before the top box line (i.e., have the box line on line 2)? I am not using a running head.

Many thanks!
    Rebecca

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

See Section 7.2 about blank lines and boxes. When a print page starts on a new braille page and a box starts there as well, the top boxing line is on line 1 when no running head is used. So, in your second example, the top boxing line should be on line, with the usual 3 blank cells between the page number and the box line.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Hi Joanna,

Thanks for the explanation. I still don't see wording that explicitly addresses boxes at the top of print pages starting at the top of a braille page, but I will take your word for it that that's the spirit of the Guideline 7.2.1 a. "A top box line can appear on line 1 when a running head is not used and line 3 when a running head is used." I was assuming that addressed the situation where the box appeared on line 1 with a continued print page number (in the middle of the print page), and the blank line required before the box appeared on the previous braille page.

Would this also apply to other material that normally is preceded and followed by a blank line, i.e. an epigraph at the top of a print page? Normally, if the print page change indicator occurred in the middle of the braille page, there would be a blank line between it and the epigraph. However, if it falls at the top of a braille page without a running head, the epigraph would appear on line 1 with the new print page number. Do I have that right?

Also, if the preceding material ended on line 25, would a box/epigraph begin on line 2 of the next page to include the required blank line?

Sorry if my wording is confusing. I'm just trying really hard to make sure I understand when the guidelines apply or not.

Thanks,
    Rebecca

rsherwood12
    Participant

The blank line that precedes must be the line immediately above the text it is preceding. If the item begins at the top of a braille page, there is no place for the blank line. You found exactly the wording that covers this--A top box line can appear on line 1 when no running head is used. Note that when a running head is used, the top box line is on line 3, not line 2. The same iks true for headings, which require a preceding blank line as well.

The only exception is certain instances in which the adding a blank line at line 1 is the only way to show a change in context from the previous braille page. These instances are relatively rare. A new blocked paragraph, for instance, that happens to start at the top of the next braille page would require a blank line at line 1. When the beginning of displayed material or the resumption of regular text after displayed material occurs at the beginning of a new braille page, there also might be a need for a blank line at line 1. That may have changed with the new guidelines, because displayed material is now indented. I haven't looked that one up yet.

The guidelines says speficially that opening box lines and headings can go on line 1. That's what it means.

--Joanna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.