Bracketed paragraph in Literature

Home Forums English Braille American Edition Bracketed paragraph in Literature

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Jana,
    I am transcribing a Reader's Companion to a Literature book. Throughout the book are paragraphs that have been bracketed on the left side. This symbol is intended to alert the student to the paragraphs so they can mark information they will use in questions pertaining to that subject. I have looked in Braille Textbook Formats and Techniques, 1977, Rule XI, Symbols of Enclosure or Bonding. It doesn't adequately address this particular situation. I have thought of placing an opening bracket at the beginning of each braille line and explaining in a TN. Other things to consider are that words are underlined and passages are italicized.
    Any insight or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Laura,

This is a textbook question but I did get an answer for you from Mary Ann Damm. 🙂

If I understand the question, the bracket is a symbol used throughout the book to identify specific paragraphs. So forget that it is an enclosure symbol; it is not being used as one. Use the shape indicator with an appropriate symbol (letter "b" for bracket or "p" for paragraph, for instance). Explain on TN page and put the symbol on SS page. Look in Rule 5, Section 3.
    Mary Ann

Hope this is helpful! Happy Holidays!

Jana

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.