Bullet symbol in TOC entry

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Bullet symbol in TOC entry

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    braillebud
    Participant

Is the bullet symbol only to be used with lists? In a table of contents I occasionally encounter two items separated by a bullet that are shown as a single entry in print because they are on the same page. The entry would look like this:

Comparing Informational Texts • Timed Writing ........77

Can you suggest a good way to present this in braille? I've seen a semi-colon inserted in braille to separate the items, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate. Can I use the bullet symbol in a situation like this?

braillebud
    Participant

I did confer on this one. Usually, bullets are ignored in contents and regarded only as separators and/or decorative. See Section 2.10.13 and Sample 2-17. Just bring Timed Writing to the next subentry level as shown in that sample and ignore the bullet. You can leave the page number 77 and guide dots at the main entry with Comparing Informational Texts. In this way, it's clear that Timed Writing is part of that item--all on the same page.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

That works. Thanks Joanna!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.