Calculator

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jg17wp
    Participant

I am attaching a copy of a question taken from a Pre-Calculus book. On the 2nd and 4th lines I have circled what apeears to be a caret in a superscript or raised position.
    The context of the question indicates that this is a key or keystroke on a calculator.
    Either way I am not sure how to do it in braille. Your help will be appreciated. Thanks you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Thank you for your question and for including such a clear example.

You're quite right that the caret sign indicates a key-press on a calculator.

Now, there is a section (113.d) in the Nemeth Code that gives rules for transcribing a keystroke indicated in print by a sort of key/button shape with material inside it. However, in this case, print is not using any shape to indicate a key-press. So, I would follow print and present these representations without "keystroke" indicators.

For the caret, I suggest you do not braille it in a superscript position. Rather, its meaning will best be presented by keeping it on the baseline, as in the attached .BRF.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    jg17wp
    Participant

Thank you for your prompt reply to my question.
    After reading your explanation, I attempted to locate section 113.d in the Nemeth Code relating to keystrokes. I was unable to locate any material. Could it be section 111.d in the 2007 update? This seems applicable to the situation.
    If there is a section 113.d, where would I find the info.?
    Thank you, again, for your help.

kdejute

Yes! I mistyped when I said section 113.d. I should have said "111.d".

I sincerely apologize for the confusion. Thank you for being so studious and for following up.

–Kyle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.