caps on calculator screen

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science caps on calculator screen

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

The last information I have about graphing calculator screens in a math book is that we are supposed to use Nemeth and not CBC or anything else. However, I believe we are supposed to follow the print capping and spacing to reflect the reality of the screen.

I have the following - Y = A+BLNX The ln is an abbreviation for a natural logarithm. If this equation were not shown on the calculator screen, the ln would not be in caps and there would be a space before the X.

As it is, I wonder how to cap it. If I put a cap indicator before each of the letters, this make nonsense of the LN because each of the two letters does not have a separate identity.

But I cannot see putting a cap in front of the B followed by a double cap in front of the LN and then another cap before the X.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the help you have given to me and others this year. May you go from strength to strength in the year to come.

TIA bt

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Barbara. I'm sorry to be so slow in answering this, but we are still discussing the question. Are all of the letters in your screens capitalized? If so, the suggestion is to insert a tn stating that all of the letters are uppercase but you are not transcribing them that way, then you don't have to deal with the cap signs. If not, let me know because I will need to get a consensus on the issue.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

That is a good suggestion. Thanks.

It's good that you are discussing it though. I don't believe that there has ever really been time for the best minds to consider this. The person who told me to use Nemeth and following spacing and capping in print also said to do that "for now, until we figure this out". This was about 10 years ago.

Thanks as always. bt

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am transcribing a math text with calculator keys. On two occasions, there is a double capital E above the calculator key. Should I treat this as a modified expression?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Could you attach a picture of your print?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.