Carried and cancelled numbers in multiplication

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Carried and cancelled numbers in multiplication

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    whipplef
    Participant

Hi, I've attached a page from a 4th grade book. Could you please tell me how to braille these multiplication problems, especially Step 4, which has carried numbers, cancelled numbers, and a comma in the answer? I found carried numbers in addition, but couldn't find anything about multiplication.

Thank you.

Fran Whipple

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    dworthing
    Participant

Hi Fran. Nemeth Code doesn't specify how to transcribe carried numbers in multiplication. However, the rule about carried numbers in addition is applied in multiplication problems. The carried numbers and cancelled numbers will go above the carried number line, which is the length of the separation line. Make sure you keep the columns aligned. Space must be left in the multiplier and multiplicand to accomodate the cancellation indicators. Space must also be left in the partial products above the comma that appears in Step 4. See the attached document. Dorothy

whipplef
    Participant

Never mind, Dorothy. I see the attachment in the NBA forum. Thank you!

Fran

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.