carried numbers under columns

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science carried numbers under columns

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I have a simple spatial multiplication problem (cannot scan it in). 24X3 only spatially. Above the 24, there is a line and above that are the words "tens" and "ones". Above the "tens" there is a carried 1.

In a Dallas NBA Workshop, I found an example of an addition example with "tens" and "ones". There they had lines of 5, 25, 25 directly above the top addend, and above that were the words.

I think I should use this idea, but place the carried number below the line under the words, even though it is shown above in print.

What do you think?

Also, we use the carried number line as in addition for multiplication, don't we? (Even though the Code doesn't speak to it.)

TIA bt

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I think your suggestion is a good one. You probably should include a tn that says the carried number is above the word in print.

You are right that the Nemeth Code doesn't speak to carried number lines in multiplication, but they are handled the same way as is done in addition.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.