CBC

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi, I am brailling a book teaching computer programming. I think I have the displayed rules down. However, it is the embedded information that I am a little confused about. The attached page has displayed at the top. In the text are several words that relate to computer programming, such as LOWER UPPER and STEP. #define, text stream, getchar and putchar, and printf. I have seen in the CBC that the words RAM and ROM are put in computer code when in a sentence. Do I include all computer lingo in open and close computer symbols if it at all has to do with programming? It is very extensive and I am not sure how to handle this portion. Thanks! Cindy

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi, I am wondering if you missed my post since I have not heard anything. There are two of us who need to get the first part of the books to the student by the beginning of September; and I hate to chance doing the wrong thing with the embedded code. My thought is that some of the computer lingo is in a different type and is also used in some of the displayed computer portions, so those probably need to be embedded as computer code. I have gone over old NBA courses and that is the way it looks but wanted to get your opinion on it. Thanks!!

betty.marshall
    Participant

There have been a few of us discussing the question you have posted. Generally anything that the reader is required to input (key) into the computer should be transcribed in Computer Braille Code. It has been suggested that computer terms written in a different typeface should be enclosed in CBC symbols. I didn't notice at first, but if you look carefully, you will see that LOWER, UPPER, STEP, #define, getchar, putchar, and printf are in a slightly different typeface. However, the phrase, text stream, seems to be italicized because it is a definition -- is there perhaps a glossary of terms at the end of the book? I would transcribe that phrase as per the rules of italics.
    Sorry for the delay in my response! I hope this helps to clarify things for you.
    Betty

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you so much for getting back to me. There is an extensive back matter with a Standard Library. They do list all of the terms that are in a special typeface in the back. I did go ahead and put those in embedded CBC whenever I ran across them. The difference in print is so faint that sometimes it is hard to tell. I did keep the italics as italics and not enclose in CBC. It can be several times in a paragraph so I just wasn't sure if I should open and close all of them. That helps tremendously. Thank You Cindy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.