centering guides in CorelDRAW

Home Forums Tactile Graphics centering guides in CorelDRAW

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Hi,

I'm new to CorelDRAW. I'm creating a template for 11.5x11" paper. First, I want to set guides for my outer margins. I've just learned it's best practice to center the guides so that a grid of braille cells (40 across by 25 lines down) is centered on the page. How can I make sure my guides are set so that there are equal margins on the left and right, and equal margins on the top and bottom of the page?

In the attached file, I ended up making the braille cell grid first, adjusting the line distance to 111%, as directed by GSTG standards, centering the grid, then arranging the guides around it. Is this the best way to do it? Even if it is, I would still like to know if my margins are equal, in case my guide-arranging was a little off. This is, after all, a template, and I don't want all my tactile graphics to be off from here on.

Thanks,

Julie

• This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Julie Sumwalt. Reason: Attaching PDF version of CDR file
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Donald Winiecki
    Hi Julie!
    Using CorelDRAW any object can be centered on the page with a shortcut key (our CorelDRAW expert is a huge fan of those shortcut keys!). This includes text.
      To see how this works, draw a circle or something else anywhere on the screen.

• After you have drawn an object, select the object and press the letter “p” on your keyboard (not the quotes, just p).
    • Whatever was selected will have been moved to the center of the page.
    This same technique can be used to center anything in CorelDRAW.
    You can set-up your template and draw your margins using this technique, as described below.
      In your case, if you want 1/2" margins on all four edges on a page that is 11" x 11-1/2," draw a square that is 10” by 10-1/2”. (If you want wider side margins, decrease the 10-1/2" width of this square.)

• Now select that square and press the letter “p” on your keyboard. The box will be moved to the Center of the page with 1/2" margins on all four sides.
    • You can then create guidelines to match the edges of the box or the edges of your braille text.

You may also want to review Appendix G in GSTM <https://www.brailleauthority.org/tg/web-manual/tgmanual.html#appendixG&gt;. That appendix shows a template similar to what you are making.

Donald Winiecki

Julie,

Another of our experts has just come back with additional information about setting up CorelDRAW. This goes beyond particulars of formatting and gets into setup of your software, so it may help you customize your template.

In G.S.T.G. Appendix G has an “Example of Tactile Graphic Template.” This example shows the top and bottom margins of the braille page are set at ½ inch from the edges. The right and left margins are shown to be set at 1 inch from the edges of the braille page.

From that we can begin to customize settings in CorelDRAW.

In CorelDRAW, the “Object Manager” creates a tab for each page of the file which allows you to organize and layer your drawing accordingly.

Each tab has a section available to giving you the option to control the guides for each individual page. The “Object Manager” also has a “Master Page” tab which will allow you to place items on every page of the file.

The “Master Page” has its own section that allows you to control a set of guides you would like to appear on every page. Under the “Master Page” tab using the pick tool, select the ‘Guides (all pages)’ sub-tab, it should turn blue.

Using the Guideline docker add 2 vertical guides.

1 guide set at 1 inch and the other set at 10.5 inches.

You will also need to add 2 horizontal guides. 1 guide set a ½ inch and the other set at 10.5 inches.

Once all 4 guides are set in place under the “Master Page” tab you can choose a color that will allow you to distinguish those guides from any other you use on individual pages. Finally lock the Guides (all pages) sub-tab.

The Guides on your template will appear in the same position as long as the Guides (all pages) sub-tab remains locked.

Donald Winiecki

Following up on our previous posting, we want to underscore the "advanced" nature of these functions in CorelDRAW.

Some adjustments will have to be made depending on output -- for example, capsule paper or Tiger embossers -- and some additional settings may be necessary to make sure your template guidelines do not become part of the TG itself.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.