Chemistry Abbreviations

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Chemistry Abbreviations

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I have a question concerning abbreviations in Chemistry Books. Do the general rules (single capitalization and punctuation) for abbreviations in Section 9 of the Braille Code for Chemical Notation, 1997 apply to abbreviations and acronyms like:
    ISBN
    VSPER (Valence Shell election-pair repulsion)
    IUPAC (International Union of Pure and applied Chemistry)
    GPS
    HIV
    CD

or are these the type of abbreviations and acronyms the section is referring to:

CTP
    ATP
    DNA
    RNA
    HCI

I'm just a little confused.

Lindy Walton

Regarding Section 9.1, General Rules ... If the abbreviation/acronym has chemical meaning (such as DNA) then follow the rule stated in the Chemistry Code. If the abbreviation/acronym does not have to do with chemistry (such as ISBN), follow Nemeth Code rules. If in doubt, I would recommend following Chemistry Code. Your list makes sense to me -- the first half can be double-capped and punctuated in the literary mode; the second list should be individually capitalized and punctuated mathematically. Keep track of your decisions so your transcription is consistent.
    For new readers: be sure to read further in Section 9 to see how the Chemistry Code differs from the Nemeth Code regarding physical states (9.2), SI units of measurement (9.3), chemical groups (9.4), and concentration of solutions (9.5).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.