Chemistry: Shaded and slanted structures

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Chemistry: Shaded and slanted structures

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    susierc
    Participant

I haven't brailled any chemistry in awhile. I've attached a scan of the print page with shaded and slanted structures and circled element letters. There's also partially hidden letters. The book only has chemistry in one chapter and naturally it couldn't be simple! I don't remember seeing anything like this before.
    1. May structures be tipped or should the lines stay slanted? Are all of the structure line indicators slanted or not? They all look slanted to me.
    2. How do I indicate the shading within the structure or do I ignore it?
    3. Do you ignore the circled element letters? If not, how do you braille them? How do you braille the different sized font of some of the circled letters?
    4. Please notice the tiny circled H's partially hidden in the thymine withy thymine structure. What do I do with them?
    5. On another page I did not include, some of the circled letters were shaded around the letter itself within the circle. How do I braille them?
    Thanks for any help you can give me.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

It looks to me like this illustration is attempting to replicate the 3-D molecule models that students use in the classroom, hence the circles around the atoms and the smaller hydrogen atom. In your braille graphic, you can ignore the circles around the letters, and the sizing is of no importance.

The shading is something I have never seen before. I think it is fine for you just to mention in a transcriber's note the fact that the rings are shaded in print.

The 2-dimensional orientation can be "tipped" which will allow you to use some horizontal and/or vertical bonds, along with a few oblique bonds necessary to complete each ring. The partially hidden hydrogens are, again, the print copy's attempt at making this appear three-dimensional. This is the CH3 molecule, so just make a carbon with three hydrogens, each with a single bond.

These bonds aren't really accurate. Just braille what you see (make them all single bonds). I think this is just a general illustration, not an accurate chemistry book as you say.

... Regarding the other page not shown, I'm not familiar with what you describe ("some of the circled letters are shaded around the letter itself within the circle"). I need to see the page in order to make a judgment -- can you attach it, too?

Lindy Walton

Thank you for all of your help. I've attached a scan of p 190 with the shaded circled letters. I was wondering about the large H's. Thanks again.

susierc
    Participant

Thank you for the image of the page (190). The note at the bottom of the page explains the significance of the shaded hydrogen atoms. They are enlarged and shaded only for the benefit of seeing (visually) which hydrogen atom is the one being shifted. I suggest marking these four hydrogen atoms with a general reference indicator from the Nemeth Code and explaining in a TN "shaded hydrogen atoms are marked with a general reference indicator (4, 12456)."

To keep the bond between H and O or H and N uninterrupted (unspaced), the reference indicator can either precede or follow the H atom, with a blank cell between it and the H. Examples:

[braille],O_3],H @]

[braille]@] ,H_3],O

etc.

susierc
    Participant

Thanks, Lindy,
    You've been a big help.

Susie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.