Chords and Lead Sheets

Home Forums Music Braille Chords and Lead Sheets

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    MenWithAMessage
    Participant

A question from one of our transcribers from the Men With a Message prison braille program:

"I am transcribing Hal Leonard's "First 50 Songs by the Beatles" for Easy Piano.

This is my first full music transcription since becoming certified in music braille transcription.

I have made the decision that the book's chord symbols belong with the piano music, in accordance with MBC 29.17. My transcriber's notes include the following:

Chord symbols which fall on a simple divisions of the measure do not always align with the corresponding music. A slash chord is always followed by a space. When a chord symbol aligns in print with music that is not a simple division of the measure, all the chords of the measure align with the corresponding music, and the music employs both the dot-5 continuation indicator and the bar line .=l. A chord symbol added by the transcriber is placed within word-sign indicators.

[Please refer to the Attachment to see an Example in measure 50.  Note: The Attachment also contains the full content from the transcriber].

So, the first question, is it okay to use spacing, and the dot-5 continuation indicator when it might not be strictly necessary? To me, it feels like a "belt-and- suspenders" approach to make the transcription clear, but would it be better to compress the music line wherever possible?"

-- Submitted by Men With a Message

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kathleen

Hi there!

Without seeing the print music, I can't give a complete answer. But just reading the braille, I don't know why you've divided measure 50. Usually only the left hand would be divided to align with the chord symbols, and it doesn't appear to need a division here.

If you choose to use the bar lines, you don't technically need the dot 5 hyphen as well.

If you can send me an image of the print measures, I can more accurately answer this!

Thanks!

Kathleen

MenWithAMessage
    Participant

Hi Kathleen - My apologies.

The print music was on a separate attachment - and I didn't upload.  My apologies.

I also have some additional questions from the transcriber - relating to the same piece of music.

I will repost. Again, please accept my apologies.

Matthew

MenWithAMessage
    Participant

Resubmission of Question re: Chords and Lead Sheets (print music included). Please see attached.

Note: Question has been clarified based on initial response.

Respectfully submitted.

Kathleen

Hi there!

Can you try again?

- the pdf is too large for this platform.

Thanks!

MenWithAMessage
    Participant

Hi Kathleen - I hope the third time works.  Three separate attachments.

Thank You.

MWM

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kathleen

<p style="font-weight: 400;">Hi there! Thanks for the pdfs!</p>
    <p style="font-weight: 400;">Reminder - in bar-over-bar format, a backward-numeral repeat may only be used if the original and the repeat are in the same parallel. (See Music Braille Code 19.7) So you can’t use the 4/3 repeat at measure 5. You can, however, use a measure number repeat – you could use the lower number 1-3 to show that those three measure repeat. If you do that, definitely braille out the right hand of measure 3. It’s too complicated to send the reader back to a repeat that has a different repeat in it!</p>
    <p style="font-weight: 400;">The use of the bar line between 19 and 20 is appropriate, since there is a coinciding blank space in all 3 lines of the parallel in the middle of the measure. And yes, also use the hyphens here, too. Not overkill at all – it’s actually helpful, I believe. Same at measure 55. The way you’ve transcribed this is correct.</p>
    <p style="font-weight: 400;">Just a couple of things that I spotted while looking over this for your specific question - You don’t need to use the page number within the music line after measure 67. It’s the only page turn over on the braille page, so the number isn’t necessary.</p>
    <p style="font-weight: 400;">Be sure your dot 3 separators after your hand signs are indeed dot 3s and not dot 6s! (m. 67 popped out)</p>
    Hope that helps!

Kathleen

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.