Colon or 2 Blank Spaces

Home Forums Foreign Language Colon or 2 Blank Spaces

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

In a "list" like the one below; that is not in a glossary, dictionary, or vocabulary section:

Español, Spanish
    actividades, activities

To show the switch from Spanish to English would I change the comma to a colon? or put 2 blank spaces in place of the comma?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

In a "single line" like the one below; that is not in a glossary, dictionary, or vocabulary section:

actividades, activities

To show the switch from Spanish to English would I change the comma to a colon? or put 2 blank spaces in place of the comma?
    Thank you again.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Please send the print page this comes from. There is some kind of translation going on here, so there must be some kind of vocabulary function. Can't tell without seeing the page to get a context. As in Formats, we don't add or change anything in print except under certain circumstances. It could be that the comma is used as the language separator.

I can give you a better answer when I see the print.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I think I understand it from your answer.
    I was reading the Foreign Language article (NBA Spring 2010 bulletin page 16) and was a little confused on the use of the colon.

In the article the reason the colon was inserted was because there wasn't any other punctuation to separate the Spanish from the English.
    So I can see why I would leave the comma as the language separator in my examples.
    Thank you very much.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Here is the statement from the new, new rules not yet published, published, published

Vocabulary or word lists that consist of only foreign words or short phrases which are followed by translations without any intervening punctuation are brailled as follows. Ignore special typeface used for the listed words. Insert a colon following the entry words and continue the translation on the same braille line.

And there's the deal. You HAVE intervening puncutation. So you are absolutely correct. Leave the commas as is, use contracted braille for the English and the reader will get the pattern of the punctuation separating the languages.

On this particular point, the current manual says the same thing.

Thanks for the interesting question.

--Joanna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.