Colon or Vertical bar

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Colon or Vertical bar

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

In the book I'm doing the author is using a colon instead of a vertical bar.
    Not sure how to do this.

Here is an example showing the "colon" with a space before and after it as in print.
    It's also stated in the book that the author is using a "vertical bar instead of a colon".

{x > N : x < 10}

Would I do

with colon: .(x .1 ,n _3 x "k #10.)
    or
    with ratio sign: .(x .1 ,n "1 x "k #10.)

Or do I substitute the : (colon) with a vertical bar and put a TN to explain the substitution in braille?
    vertical bar: .(x .1 ,n \ x "k #10.)

Thank you for your help.

betty.marshall
    Participant

Sorry... It's stated in the book that the author is using a "colon instead of a vertical bar".
    Thanks again.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

It would seem to me that if the textbook has already explained that a vertical bar has been replaced with a colon, then to change it again in the braille just adds unnecessary confusion. Although we know how it [u]should[/u] be transcribed in braille, by keeping the information the same as the print, the reader will then have the same information as the rest of the class and be able to understand any discussion regarding the print rendition. Our job is to transcribe, not interpret.
    This is just my opinion, not something that is addressed in Nemeth Code.
    Betty

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.