Common Core State Standards

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Common Core State Standards

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ricia2001
    Participant

Hello. Can you please tell me how the following Common Core State Standards should be brailled?

F.IF.6
    5.NBT.2

It seems that everyone has a different take on these. ie., whether the dots are decimals or periods, where the multipurpose indicators should be placed, double cap or each letter capitalized individually. Please help.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    dworthing
    Participant

Thank you very much. I have saved your document and in the future will get it out whenever the topic comes up and say, "This is how to do it..... the Expert says so." Thanks again.

dworthing
    Participant

Ooops! Don't save that one. I inadvertantly omitted a decimal point. Here is the corrected document.

dworthing
    Participant

Piggy-backing onto this, if the abbreviation is K.NBT or A-CED, would you still capitalize each letter individually?

ricia2001
    Participant

If these are truly abbreviations, I would double cap the abbreviation that consists of more than one letter. The rule about treating abbreviations mathematically only applies to a series of unspaced letters and numbers, not letters only. For abbreviations the effect of capitalization ends with anything that is not a letter, so you have to restate the caps after the period or hyphen. I would better be able to answer if I knew what K.NBT and A-CED stand for.

K.NBT [braille],k4,,nbt

A-CED [braille],a-,,ced

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Thank you. K.NBT stands for Kindergarten.Number and Operations in Base Ten. A-CED stands for Algebra-Creating Equations. (Not sure where the D comes in. An example of mixing letters and numbers is 8.NS, which stands for 8th (grade).The Number System. So, we use decimal points when there are numbers and letters, but periods when there are only lettere? Individually cap letters when there are numbers involoved, but double cap when there are only letters?

Julie

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Sounds complicated, doesn't it? An update was made to the code, either last year or the year before, about abbreviations consisting of unspaced numbers and letters. They are capitalized and punctuated mathematically. This change does not apply to abbreviations made up entirely of letters.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.