Common Sense verses Promising and Practices for k3

Home Forums Tactile Graphics Common Sense verses Promising and Practices for k3

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Promising andPractices for K-3 says to include a TN before each graphic.

The New Tactile Graphic Guidelines (2011) does not have a requirement like Promising and Practices.

In a volume that has many tactile graphics, is it reasonable to keep repeating the TN "Ask your teacher for help" before each graphic?

If common sense was used it would be enough to state on the TN page that "For every graphic in this volume, Ask the teacher for help"
    Could you please comment on this practice.

sshreck
    Participant

Promising Practices was withdrawn by BANA and is no longer used, so this is now a non-issue. The BANA Early Literacy Technical Committee continues its work in resolving certain outstanding issues. For formatting, use the rules in the current 1997 Formats for the lower grades. For tactile graphics issues, use the new Tactile Graphic Guidelines.

--Joanna

sshreck
    Participant

Joanna,
    I was surprised to see your reply about BANA no longer using Promising Practices. When did this happen?

sshreck
    Participant

It was about a year ago. My understanding is that the BANA Early Literacy Technical Committee is working on certain isssues. And in the meantime, there is the Formats revision, now being reviewed by BANA.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Joanna,

Was this posted on BANA? Is BANA's position that we should NOT be using the Promising Practices document at all? I would like clarification on this prior to starting any new transcriptions.
    Thank you.

joannavenneri
    Participant

I would suggest that you go to the BANA website and contact them for further information. This was taken up at BANA meeting and that is the current status as far as I'm aware.

--Joanna

sshreck
    Participant

Thank you Joanna, I will do that.

joannavenneri
    Participant

I've been following this post and have noted that the BANA website still lists Promising Practices as an active Guideline to use. Is this change yet to come?

joannavenneri
    Participant

What I have found out is that BANA is reviewing Promising Practices and trying to merge this document with the new Formats Guidelines. I have contacted American Printing House for the Blind (ATIC) department and they are still using the Promising Practices Guidelines. I believe more information will follow at a later date.

joannavenneri
    Participant

I can only report what I have been given to understand. This sort of information is sometimes not efficiently disseminated. APH is a braille producer and can make whatever agency decisions it wishes. I also know that the BANA website is not always frequently updated. That is why I suggested that BANA be contacted directly for direction on this. Since Formats is now under final review, it may be wise to hold off on Promising Practices. But in no case would I (speaking for myself) use a formatting decision made by an agency, even one as renouned as APH, as an authority unless I were transcribing something under their direction. There is only one Braille Authority. And I repeat my suggestion to contact them directly.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Joanna,
    I have contacted BANA and am waiting for their reply.

sshreck
    Participant

I have now received clarification from BANA myself. The understanding I had about Promising Practices being withdrawn was erroneous on my part and I do apologize. Promising Practices continues to be in use and available to download from APH and BANA websites.

The original question was a concern about following the provision in Promising Practices that requires a TN preceding each graphic that tells the student to ask. There is no such requirement in the new Tactile Graphics Guidelines. I recommend that Tactile Graphics experts, especially those close to the new guidelines be consulted on this.

--Joanna

sshreck
    Participant

Thanks Joanna.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.