Compass rose question

Home Forums Tactile Graphics Compass rose question

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant

I have a question concerning compass roses for tactile graphic maps. Two rules from "Guidelines and standards for Tactile Graphics" are stated below:

7.6.3.1 If the print refers to direction within a map or if the compass concept is being taught, the compass must be included on the braille map.

7.6.3.2 The direction of the compass rose arrows should always coincide with the lines of longitude and latitude of the map.

Please refer to the attached map. Would a compass rose ever be used on a map like this? It represents a Conic style map. The problem I see is a compass rose in the upper left corner of the page would not accurately portray the direction of North for any place on the map other than were it was shown in print. It would only be accurate for the upper left side of the map but would be way off for the right side of the map. I wouldn't think that a compass rose should be included because it doesn't represent north for the entire map and would therefore be misleading.

The way I interpret the intent of including compass roses is that it must be accurate for the ENTIRE map for it to be included. Please give me some guidance on this issue.
    Thank you for your time and attention

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    dspence

Dear Toby,

Because you did not include any of the surrounding text that accompanies this map, I don't know if "direction" is referred to, or if it is being taught in this example. In the TG Guidelines, 7.6.3.3 states "If direction is not referred to in the map or surrounding information and the top of the map is assumed to be north, it is not necessary to include the compass rose. Insert a statement, either before the graphic or on the Transcriber's Notes page explaining this convention." My interpretation from your example is that the most important point to convey about this map is that the top of the page is north. I'm assuming this map is in a textbook above grade 3. If so, it is not necessary to show the entire compass rose...meaning you don't have to show all 4 directions in the compass rose (North, E, W, S).

I would present the compass information for maps like this with either a note on the TN page that reads, "Unless otherwise instructed, the top of the page is always considered north." and leave out the compass rose information all together on the maps throughout the book. If you do have a map where the top of the page is NOT north, simple insert the direction of north on that particular map.

Diane

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.