Computer Braille Code

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Computer Braille Code

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I have a document that contains a computer keyboard command F3, the function key at the top of the keyboard. I am not clear on how to braille this using the computer braille indicators so that it is not confused with capital f3 on the keyboard.

Thank you - Sue

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

According to page 43-44 of the Computer Braille Code, §13., if the key is depicted you would use beginning and ending shape indicators. These symbols should appear on the Special Symbols page. The reader would immediately recognize this as a single keystroke.
    [braille]_$k_f3_<
    Hope this helps,
    Betty

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Betty,
    Thank you that does help!
    Sue

betty.marshall
    Participant

I have another question regarding keyboard commands. In the above example of F3 (the function key at the top of the keyboard) I notice in braille that the shift indicator is used before the 'f', will the reader know that the 'f' in F3 is capitalized on the keyboard and that the command is not Shift F3? Also at the end of the example in the previous post why is the capital release symbol used and not the end computer braille symbol?

Thank you,
    Sue

betty.marshall
    Participant

The letter k following the Begin Shape Indicator shows the reader that it is one key on the keyboard F3, rather than Shift F3. (See Section 13.2)
    The example should end with the End Shape Indicator. Thank you for pointing out the Caps Release error.
    The End Computer Braille Code symbol is the same symbol as is used for the End Shape Indicator. When use in this manner, it would need to listed on the Special Symbols page as the End Shape Indicator.

So, it should have read: [braille]_$k_f3_:

Betty

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.