Computer Code with UEB

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Computer Code with UEB

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Hi Kyle,

I have a transcription to do in Nemeth/UEB. The Word file attached shows 3 parts.

1. top: shows a list in 4 columns, the 1st is list of code numbers. -- should this list be in Nemeth or could these be in UEB? The list just mentions them with no math context.
    2. middle: shows text and embedded codes throughout. Should these be Nemeth or UEB? Should these be in whatever code the list above is in? The equation in the first paragraph: PITCH = 1/Threads ...this looks like a fraction and should be Nemeth. I would leave Z-axis in UEB
    3. the last part is a program. What code should be used here? If I put this in Nemeth, should all the codes in the text then be Nemeth?

Thank you, Fred

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Good day, Fred:

Thank you for the question. Let’s look at the three parts of your sample document:

1. Should computer code numbers be in Nemeth Code (e.g., G40, G42, etc.)? No, I would not put these codes in Nemeth switch indicators.
    2. Should equations be in Nemeth Code? Yes (including “PITCH = 1/Threads per inch”, “1.0 divided by 8 TPI = .125”, “(1.500-.75)/2 = .375”). I agree that “Z-Axis” does not require Nemeth Code; it is not a math expression.
    3. Should [line-by-line] computer code be in Nemeth Code? The Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts is not designed to address computer code. UEB is equipped to handle computer notation (See Guidelines for Technical Material, section 17). I would use UEB for computer notation like this.

Thank you again for your thoughtful questions. Please let me know if you have follow-up concerns.

–Kyle

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.