Contraction in names

Home Forums English Braille American Edition Contraction in names

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I'm working on a trial manuscript. The main character in the book is called "It." The first time the name is introduced, "It" is at the end of the sentence, and so it has a period after it. If I use the contraction for "It", it could be confused with X. , an abbreviation. Should I spell out the name throughout the book? Spell out "It" just when there is a period after it? Spell it out the first time so there's no confusion and then use the contraction?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Since "it" is a word/name and the letter x stands for the word "it", there should be no confusion (as I understand it). If the x was meant to be a letter, there would be a letter indicator telling the braille reader that it is a letter. Regardless of whether or not "it" is a proper name, "it" is "it" and that is just the way "it" is. 🙂 LOL Does this help?

Jana

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Jana:
    If a person uses just his initial for his name, as in W. Rogers, you would not need a letter sign in front of the W. (Rule VI.27.c) And it would not be confused with Will Rogers. So, if you see capital X. (with a period), wouldn't it be confused with an initial?
    Debbie

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Debbie,

According to Rule VI.27.c regarding initials, they are ordinarily written with a space between them. If a person uses just his initial for his name, it is not necessary to use a letter indicator because of the period that follows the initial. [ You would not call a person Will period space Rogers. In the case of capital X followed by a period, you would know from context whether it is an initial followed by a period or whether it is a word. In your example of Mr. It, you stated the X period was at the end of the sentence. Thus it woud not be confused as the initial X. I hope this makes it a little clearer for you.
    Jana

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Jana:
    Thank you for explaining.
    Debbie

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

You are very welcome. Glad I was able to help. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.