Contraction use

Home Forums English Braille American Edition Contraction use

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello,
    I know that “sh” can’t be contracted when it is an admonition to silence since it could be misread as “shall”. But when it’s shown with an apostrophe ‘Sh! should it be contracted?

Also if, in dialect, “thew” is used for the word “through” should the “th” contraction or “the” be used?

Thanks,
    Mark

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello Mark,

I am curious as to why "sh," as an admonition to silence, would be preceded by an apostrophe. Are you certain it is an apostrophe, or is it a single opening quotion mark? At any rate, it makes no difference with regard to the "sh" ... It should not be contracted. In addition, thew, regardless of its meaning, would be contracted using the "the" contraction. Remember, your task is to follow print. 🙂

Jana

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thanks Jana!

I believe the "'Sh" preceded by an apostrophe is short for the word "Hush"; it's definitely not a single opening quotation mark.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Jana,

My first reaction was that the “sh” contraction should be used in this case. I don't think it could be mistaken for “shall” since it has an apostrophe before it. It is slang for “hush”.

For instance, in 12.5b(3) of the Instruction Manual one of the examples given is (th)' as (the) in dialect. Here the "th" contraction is used with the apostrophe, even though by itself it has the whole-word meaning "this".

What do you think?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Mark,

In your example, the th is followed by an apostrophe and th cannot ever be read as the word this unless its stands alone. In the case of the "sh" here, the apostrophe comes before the sh. Regardless of whether there is an apostrophe before or after, the sh is an admonition of silence, and therefore no contraction can be used. 🙂 If you still have doubts, please call the braille development section of Library of Congress and see if they can provide you with someone who can give you a different answer. 🙂

Jana

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Is a letter sign needed for al-Andalus? Is the letter sign needed when Al-Andalus is the first word of a paragraph or sentence?

Thank you for your help?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

My apologies, I did not see this post mixed in with an old post.

I would use a letter indicator for the al-Andulus since al is a short-form word meaning "also." You would definately need it at the beginning of a sentence.

Jana

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.