Contractions within Speech Mannerisms

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Contractions within Speech Mannerisms

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lucas Timpe
    Participant

I have a speech question regarding contractions within speech mannerisms that I can't seem to find the answer for. I'm transcribing a book with a lot of old southern dialect, including the phrase "you'd've". My question is, can I you the alphabetic wordsign for "you" here? I've read every guideline I can find that seems relevant, including 2.6.4 and 10.1.2 in the rules of UEB, but I still can't seem to find the answer. I'm leaning toward just using the strong groupsign for the "ou", but now I really want to know if that's actually correct. If any of you have ever been stuck in a braille riddle before, you'll know why I can't just let this go! I'm sure the answer is obvious and I've just been over-looking it, but I sure would appreciate any help you could give before I go totally crazy…

Thanks!

JanaBrailles

Hi Lucas,

In response to your question regarding speech mannerisms, Rule 10.1.2 tells us that the alphabetic word sign CAN be used with d, ll, re, s, t, and ve providing the resulting word is standing alone. In your example of "you'd've," the "you'd" is not standing alone. In this instance, use the  “ou” contraction in y(ou)’d’ve because  once the  've is added, the word "you'd"  is no longer standing alone.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Jana

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.