Converting % to decimals and fractions

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Converting % to decimals and fractions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am having trouble deciding whether or not to use fration indicators for the following:
    The text reads:
    Example: Convert 82% into a decimal.
    Solution: 82%x1/100% = 82%/100% = 82/100
    82/100 = 0.82

The 1/100% is used frequently in the text and I chose not to use the fraction indicators, however, I would value your input.

Another example reads:

Convert 71 1/2% into a fraction. (text is all the same height)

Should fraction indicators be used? If not would there be a space between the 71 and the 1/2 ?

Thanks, Laura

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

As a transcriber, our job is to faithfully represent the print copy according the rules of our braille codes. The rules regarding fractions (use/non-use of fraction indicators) are clearly stated in the Nemeth Code. If your print copy shows a diagonal fraction line and the numerals are printed on the base-line of writing and are not smaller than the surrounding mathematical text, we have a rule to follow:

NC Rule XII (Fractions), Section 63 (Non-Use of Simple-Fraction Indicators), subsection b states it this way (I added the emphasis):

"Simple-fraction indicators must *not be used to enclose a *simple fraction whose numerator and denominator are separated by a *diagonal line in ink print when the expressions on either side of the diagonal line appear at the *same *level relative to it, or are of the *same *type *size as the surrounding mathematical text. ... It is better to avoid the use of indicators altogether in these cases and permit the braille reader to make a judgment based on the same information that is available to the sighted reader."

Regarding the spacing, use the same spacing shown in the print copy *UNLESS* ... If this is a mixed number then follow Section 64 (and Sec.64.a) of the Nemeth code and show the fraction to be the fractional part of a mixed number (unspaced, preceded and followed by the appropriate opening and closing indicators). By looking at the context of the problem, you should be able to determine if this unusual print presentation is actually a mixed number.
    edited by Lindy on 1/21/2015

Lindy Walton

Thanks for the input. I read the code, but for some reason it wasn't clicking. What can I say: It was a Friday?!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.