Correspondence

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Correspondence

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    APSEA
    Spectator

The new formats do not give much information on closings and salutations for correspondence and I was looking for some clarification:

- Rule 9.7.1b states that if a closing is beyond the left margin, it is moved to an attribution position (and I assume then uses attribution rules?). But there is no rule for if it is at the margin. Do we then revert back to literary rules?

It makes quite a difference, as, if it's an attribution, the rule states that it must "begin" on the same page as the last line of the letter and has a blank line after. If it's a closing, then the whole thing has to be on the same page as the last line of the letter and does not require a blank line after.

Also, if it is an attribution, followed by a page change indicator, which is then followed by items in cell 1/3, where would the blank line go? Before or after page change indicator?

Thank you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

Thanks for sending the print pages. First, I do not think that the letters themselves are displayed because there is no surrounding text. From the print pages you sent, the letters themselves ARE the text. So, do not treat the letters as displayed. These letters are a series of blocked paragraphs, with some occasional indented paragraphs within the body of the letter. Since the closings for all the letters is at the left margin, these are not treated as an attribution, but simply as very short blocked paragraphs. Each closing is on the same print page as its associated letter, so there is no issue with page change indicators.

If the closing falls on the next BRAILLE page, I would treat it as any other blocked paragraph that starts on a new braille page. Since the closing is NOT an attribution, the guidelines for attributions do not apply. Consider also that the text of the letters is clear and consistent, and the meaning should be clear to the reader as the text is read.

--Joanna

agzic
    Participant

Does this response still apply under the 2016 Braille Format rules? Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.