Cyrillic braille symbols

Home Forums Foreign Language Cyrillic braille symbols

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Hello,

One of our transcribers is transcribing a 6th grade history textbook.  Within the textbook, there are Cyrillic symbols.  He could not find documentation for transcribing the following symbols:

1. Fita
    2. Dotted I
    3. Yat or jat
    4. Itzhitsa

I have attached a picture of what each symbol looks like.  Any help with the braille translation is much appreciated. Thanks!!

Georgia Braille Transcibers

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    ftb
    Participant

The Cyrillic alphabet is closely based on the Greek alphabet. Under Peter the Great, the forms of letters were simplified, with some appropriate only to Greek being removed. Further unnecessary letters were expunged in 1918, leaving the alphabet as it is found on p. 200 of World Braille Usage (Russian).

Fita was derived from the Greet letter theta, Izhitsa was used to translate the Greek letter upsilon, and the dotted i, as well as yat or jat were letters of the Early Cyrillic alphabet. All of them are no longer part of the Cyrillic alphabet used today.

As these four symbols are not listed in World Braille Usage, if these symbols are merely listed, a transcribers note can explain their omission in braille. However, it they are used in a passage, send along that print sample and we'll look that over next.

Carol Greer

Michael
    Participant

Thank you so much for your prompt reply, Carol!  We really appreciate it.

Georgia Braille Transcibers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.