Dedication: Follow Print Justification?

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Dedication: Follow Print Justification?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Willie
    Participant

Should a dedication be centered horizontally according to print, or always aligned to the left margin, with each line beginning in cell one?

For instance, in print:
    <p style="text-align: center;">To</p>
    <p style="text-align: center;">my daughters,</p>
    <p style="text-align: center;">Booter and Dorfus</p>
    <p style="text-align: center;"></p>
    <p style="text-align: left;">Should that be transcribed as:</p>
    <p style="text-align: left;">To</p>
    <p style="text-align: left;">my daughters,</p>
    <p style="text-align: left;">Booter and Dorfus</p>
    <p style="text-align: left;"></p>
    <p style="text-align: left;">Many thanks for your help.</p>

claurent

According to Braille Formats 2.9, Dedications are placed on their own page (with no other text) and should begin on line 1 or line 3 (depending on if there is a running head used or not).  Your example should be treated as a paragraph 9 (either blocked or 3-1).  If it were poetry, all lines would begin in cell 1.

Cindi

Dragica Miletic
    Participant

I'm confused about the wording in Formats 2.9 - nothing there states clearly that a dedication should be the only text on a page. 2.9.1. a states that a dedication begins on a new braille page, but not that nothing else should be on the same page.

Is this defined somewhere else in the Formats?

I've come across a dedication that takes up just two lines, not even full lines, so moving the following text to the next page seems like a huge waste of space.

Gala

claurent

The intent is that each item in the front matter is on a separate page (or pages as in the contents). So the dedication should be on a page by itself.

Cindi

Dragica Miletic
    Participant

I see! So, it's 2.7.1. a - Each item in the front matter begins on a new braille page.
    Thank you for pointing this out, Cindi!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.