diacritics in math glossary

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science diacritics in math glossary

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am working on a 3rd grade math book which includes a Glossary. There is a pronunciation key using diacritics, and the pronuncation, using diacritics, is shown after every entry. These pronunciations are shown in brackets.

According to the Format Code, Rule 18 section 3b, I must use brackets that look like EBAE not Nemeth. I don't think the Format Code really envisions a Glossary in Nemeth.

I thought of putting a TN at the beginning of the volume about this usage, but I don't like that idea much.

Is there any justification for using Nemeth parens and brackets in this situation? As far as I can tell, they could not be mistaken for anything else.

bt

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

In a Nemeth transcription, everything is transcribed according to the Nemeth Code, including the glossary. According to Rule XVIII §120, the grouping symbols of English Braille must never be used except to enclose literary material on title pages. If a grouping sign occurs which is not listed, the transcrbier must devise a symbol whose first component is 12356 for opening and 23456 for closing. Those devised symbols would go on the Special Symbols page (and probably a tn at their first occurence).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.