Diagram Lines

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Diagram Lines

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am over the Center for Braille and Narration Production located inside Jefferson City Correctional Center, Jefferson City, Missouri and have had this problem given to me to see if I could get more information.
    I have attached diagrams and would like more examples or a better explanation than what I've attached from the Print & Braille Formats Examples book Volume 2 and Volume 3 as to how to do diagram lines. We are experiencing more jobs that have this type of diagram problems and it has been several people deciding the best way to do it but not really sure if they are doing it correcctly or not.

joannavenneri
    Participant

I have conferred with colleagues about this one and we are in agreement! These diagrams are too complex to be put into braille. It is now felt that diagrams of this nature are simply not suitable for braille at all and the new Formats guidelines will say that. You may disregard the rule in the current Formats book that you included in your attachment. The recommendation for this material is to create tactile graphics for these diagrams if you are able to do that. If not, you may simply omit the diagrams and explain the omission in a transcriber's note. Don't forget that statement of omission. See Rule 17 Section 1g on the omission of illustrations.

Thank you for including that print page. It is essential for me to be able to see exactly what the problem is.

The new Formats guidelines have been approved and will take effect when the guidelines are published, some time in the next few months. Please let us know if the men in your program need further information about this.

--Joanna

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.