Displayed linked expressions with special margins

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Displayed linked expressions with special margins

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Connie Stone
    Participant

Clarification on the division of displayed linked expressions.

The attached file shows two equations that are displayed linked expressions but do not appear to fall under the rule requiring special margins due to there are comparison signs preceded by an expression on its left. Therefore, all runovers would be in cell 5 instead of each link being formatted as 5-7? It seems that it would be better represented with the special margins used since it is so long and has several divisions but it does not meet the qualifications. Which format should I follow?

Also, clarify when dividing within a link. For example, in the third example, would you divide again before the dy since it is an implied multiplication (the priority list) or place on the line with the prior super and subscripts?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Connie Stone.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

Hi Connie. You are right, these linked expressions do not need to follow the special margins rule. If there is text after the numbers 1. and 2., then yes these should be formatted as displayed expressions, starting the anchor in cell 5 and placing all runovers in cell 7. If there is no text after the numbers 1. and 2., as shown in the example you attached, then I would begin each anchor on the same line as the identifier, placing all runovers in cell 3.

When a link needs to be divided within a series of complicated linked expressions like these, the first rule of thumb for clarity is to start a new line with each link. In these examples, that means at each baseline equals sign. I like to do that even with the final link, which tends to be short. Starting each link on a new line gives clarity to the progression.

To divide a long link, the first priority is keeping the enclosed portions together on the same line. Beyond that, go as far as you can and then divide at one of the indicators from the priority list. In number 1 and number 2, this turns out to be a superscript indicator.

I would not divide again before the dy. An implied operation sign is not on the list. I see no reason to break before a factor when it will fit on the line.

In number 3, I would go ahead and transcribe the subscript (x = 1/2 y) since it fits on the line with that closing bracket. Then start the new line with the superscript indicator.

Hope this helps!

Lindy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.