Displayed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello,
    I have the following itemized and displayed text in Nemeth:

1. Large and small animals ... (should this itemized text be in 1-3 or 1-5?)

(displayed text below: Does the displayed text go in 5-3 or 3-7?)
    Give some names of small animals:
    Give some names of large animals:

Thank you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Could you attach a picture of what the print actually looks like?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Dorothy,
    I'm sending this and hoping the attachment is there.
    Thank you.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

In the particular example you show, I think I would treat this as a main item with subdivisions. So the original statement would be 1/5 and each of the two sentences below would start in 3 with any runovers in 5. If you decide to treat this as a statement with displayed items, the statement would be 1/3 and the displayed items would be 5/7.

dworthing
    Participant

If this is treated as displayed, would there be a blank line before the displayed expressions since this is not a math expression?

dworthing
    Participant

Is this taken from a math or science book that is done in Nemeth?
    I agree that this should be main item with subdivisions and may be treated as if the two Give ... statements had identifiers like a) and b).

crepemyrtle
    Participant

The reason I asked about displayed is because I have a math book with displayed sentences that are not math expressions. "Application of the Formats Guidelines 2011 to Nemeth Transcriptions" says to follow Formats for displayed literary text, so I assume there will be a blank line before and after even though the book is brailled in Nemeth. (See attached example.)

crepemyrtle
    Participant

You are correct that you would leave a blank line before and after displayed "literary" text as shown in your example. I think, however, that your original example is not of displayed text. Those kinds of decisions are left to the transcriber, so just be consistent in your interpretations.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.