Do we use Grade 1 indicator before freestanding Spanish letters? Nemeth in UEB

Home Forums Foreign Language Do we use Grade 1 indicator before freestanding Spanish letters? Nemeth in UEB

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Clara Harris
    Participant

<p style="text-align: left;">Hi Cindy,</p>
    <p style="text-align: left;">The Interim of Foreign Language 1.6 considers important the use of ELI to distinguish letters from words.</p>
    <p style="text-align: left;">In a Nemeth within UEB transcription I have labels: a, b, c, etc. and coordinates y, x.</p>
    Do I use the grade 1 only on the y to distinguish from the Spanish word y. Or do I use it for EVERY standing alone Spanish letter.

TkU,

Clara

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Patrick Janson

Hi Clara,

Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to communicate with some committee members as a Foreign Language guidebook has yet to be published to handle such matters. Our consensus is:

Since the book seems to be all in Spanish, the same rules apply to English and single letters: any letter such as "y" that can be misread as a word in Spanish should have a grade one indicator. So, yes on "y" and no on "x".

Hope that helps!

Patrick

Clara Harris
    Participant

Hi Patrick, greetings from Louisville,

Thank you for getting back to me.

It definitely helps to know that we ALL are on the same page.

Best,

Clara

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.