Dot locator for “use”

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Dot locator for “use”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Melissa Caldwell
    Participant

In Rules of UEB 3.14.1 it says that the dot locator for use can be used for a grid of letters. Would that also apply to letters in a box? They are not spaced evenly and some are two letters together while others are three letters, some are contracted. If you can use the dot locator for use, should it be within the table or outside the table? Or would you do it with just the capitals passage indicator and terminator? I attached an example with it done different ways. Which is the correct or best way to do it?

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

This question really belongs in the UEB literary forum...but I'll go ahead and answer it 🙂

They are all technically correct (except for the fact that the last example has the columns out of alignment).

In my opinion, the 2nd option is the "cleanest" - it keeps everything in the box and applies capitals to all the letters...but again, all of them are technically correct.

In the first example, the dot locators can be on the lines immediately preceding  and following the box because they apply just to the box.

You mention that contractions are used - in the first line, why is the 'en' in 'gen' not contracted?  To me, without seeing the print, this looks like it might be Spanish (using Spanish accented letters) but if it is English, then the 'en' should be used.

Be sure to list the dot locator on the Special Symbols page (or in  a TN at the site).

Cindi

Melissa Caldwell
    Participant

Thank you Cindi! I wasn't sure which forum to ask it in.

You are correct, this is for Spanish. I was more concerned with how to do the dot locator for use and the capitals and didn't try to correct the alignment when I quickly changed the way the capital indicators and dot locator for use was used. I will make sure it is correct when I do the 2nd method because I think it does look "cleanest" too. I had a proofreader question using the dot locator for use so I thought I would ask.

Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.