Dot locators

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lindy Walton

Hi Cindi.
    I would appreciate any insight you could give to explain the difference between the dot locator for "mention" and the dot locator for "use".
    Thank you.

dworthing
    Participant

This is a very hard concept for me to grasp...but I'll try!

The dot locator for mention is used whenever symbols are listed (on the Special Symbols page, in a TN, in a list that is in print).

The dot locator for use is used whenever a symbol (such as a free standing colon) might get "lost". The dot locator is to help the reader know which positions within the cells have dots in them (that it's a colon and not hyphen). Sometimes, a grade 1 indicator is used to designate punctuation standing alone (see the free standing question mark on page 51 of the UEB codebook). Also, you cannot have an indicator on a line by itself without using the Dot locator for use. See the examples on page 30 of the UEB codebook).

One of the dot locators is used only with symbols lists...the other is for when a symbol is actually being used for some purpose - not just being explained.

I hope that helps. If not, let me know and I will ask for more information from other sources.

Cindi

Lindy Walton

OK. So in sets of sentences where a student is learning a certain groupsign, "ch" for example, and the heading for the page is simply "ch" would you use the dot locator for use?

Lindy Walton

Hi Lindy. Cindi is away for a few days. Would you mind waiting for her to return to get your answer?

claurent

Are you referencing a book that is teaching braille (the actual braille sign for ch) or are you referencing a book that is teaching grammar? In a grammar book, I would use the uncontracted letters ch as the heading. No grade 1 indicator required and no dot locator required. If this is a braille lesson and the braille sign for ch is being taught, I would do the ch uncontracted and then follow it with the contraction to demonstrate the concept.

Cindi

claurent

This is a book that is teaching braille -- the student is learning the actual braille sign for ch (dots 16). The heading for the page is simply (dots 16) which of course will read as "child" in this contracted environment. Another page heading is "his was were" which can be misread as "have just go" or perhaps as punctuation (although the Grade 1 indicator would be needed there, and 2356 now has no Grade 1 meaning) ... so I thought dot locators would be needed there as well. I think I'll go with dot locators for "use". Thanks for the conversation.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.