ea contraction

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary ea contraction

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    lmcgbrl
    Participant

Hi Cindi. Jana and I are taking the UEBOT course and were marked wrong on using the ea contraction in Leah. Their reasoning for not contracting was pronunciation of the name. We argued against that reasoning saying unless it is an obvious prefix (react) you use ea contraction liberally in UEB. Thought I would check with the expert for your opinion. Thanks. 🙂 Linda

claurent

Sorry for the delay in responding.

While I, personally, agree with you, you will notice that the word likeable uses the ea contraction...so I think they are correct according to UEB rules.

Cindi

lmcgbrl
    Participant

I'm sorry--but I'm confused. If you note that the word likeable uses the ea contraction, how are they correct to say NOT to use it in Leah? Is there a typo here or am I not understanding something? Help!

--Joanna

JanaBrailles

Joanna is right - they said to uncontract the ea. We contracted it. We have decided it is just one of those braille things where we agree to disagree. Is that still kosher in UEB???? 🙂 Linda

JanaBrailles

Cindi--if they are correct according to UEB rules NOT to use ea in Leah, may I ask WHICH UEB Rules you refer to? Or which rules they (whoever they are) refer to? I still don't understand why these graders say ea is not used in Leah. I don't understand why Linda and Jana have been told NOT to use ea in Leah.

--Joanna

JanaBrailles

We are taking the UEBOT online course given by NIU (Northern Illinois University)- the moderator and teacher quoted 10.12.6 through 10.12.8 for not contracting ea in Leah - guess because it would hinder the recognition of the word. But the rules do say use of contraction is permissible based on the best judgment of the transcriber, and that translation software would use the contraction. didn't mean to get this going again, just wanted cindi's opinion. Happy weekend. 🙂 Linda

joannavenneri
    Participant

Sorry I confused you more...I read it wrong. I think ea SHOULD be used in Leah.

Cindi

joannavenneri
    Participant

What do they know in northern Illinois that we don't since ALL of us in this discussion disagree with them? Anyone know who these people are? I couldn't figure it out from the website. I wouldn't mind asking directly, especially since they position themselves as qualified to teach the rest of us. I love to learn new things.

--Joanna

lmcgbrl
    Participant

[quote=joannavenneri]Cindi--if they are correct according to UEB rules NOT to use ea in Leah, may I ask WHICH UEB Rules you refer to? Or which rules they (whoever they are) refer to? I still don't understand why these graders say ea is not used in Leah. I don't understand why Linda and Jana have been told NOT to use ea in Leah.

--Joanna[/quote]

I think what was most confusing to me was you WOULD use the ea contraction in the word "create" in which the e and the a are pronounced independently ... but in the word Leah, which is prounounced "Lee", "Le-ah", and, according to our esteemed instructors "Lay-uh" you do not use the contraction? It is apparent neither instructor is a transcriber or has transcribing experience ... and I mean no disrespect, but transcribers know there is a difference between a teacher who teacher braille dots, and a transcriber, who takes print, formats it, and turns the words into dots. Most teachers have no or very little experience with formatting documents, books, or words. They can read the dots, but that doesn't mean they know how or why it is brailled the way it is. Just my .05¢ worth this fine day 🙂

joannavenneri
    Participant

Oh what the heck. I'll go with the non-respect thing. Respect is a thing to be earned. I dislike being given a reason to doubt myself by someone who is not qualified to do that.

As I said, I do like learning new things. Webster's New Collegiate Fifth Edition (the latest, just bought it) gives both pronunciations with LEE-ah first. The first pronunciation is usually the one that is preferred. That's why it's first.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

[quote=joannavenneri]Oh what the heck. I'll go with the non-respect thing. Respect is a thing to be earned. I dislike being given a reason to doubt myself by someone who is not qualified to do that.

As I said, I do like learning new things. Webster's New Collegiate Fifth Edition (the latest, just bought it) gives both pronunciations with LEE-ah first. The first pronunciation is usually the one that is preferred. That's why it's first.

--Joanna[/quote]

joannavenneri
    Participant

[quote=JanaBrailles][quote=joannavenneri]Oh what the heck. I'll go with the non-respect thing. Respect is a thing to be earned. I dislike being given a reason to doubt myself by someone who is not qualified to do that.

--Joanna[/quote][/quote]

... And I almost always pronounce it "Lee" because I have a friend named Leah, who is blind, and who pronounces it "Lee," and she uses the "ea" contraction in it ... also have a friend Lea Ann, pronounced Lee Ann ... what I wanted from UEBOT was an explanation why you use "ea" contraction in "create" but not in "Leah"??

claurent

Seattle! lineage! likeable!

--Joanna

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.