Electric Field Lines

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Electric Field Lines

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BeverlyN
    Participant

Hello,

Attached is a page from a science book I'm working on. I am using Nemeth Braille Code for this textbook. One of the topics is Electricity and Magnetism that uses positive and negative charges in illustrations (see attachment). I will be doing tactile graphics for these illustrations.  Should I use UEB technical or Nemeth for the positive and negative symbols?

Thank you.

Beverly

Lindy Walton

Hi Beverly. In a Nemeth transcription, we don't use UEB symbols for the technical material. I don't see an attachment to your note -- can you try again, and I will take a look at it? Thank you.

Lindy

BeverlyN
    Participant

Thank you. The upload exceeded file size. I will try again.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

This drawing poses an interesting question about the readability of what I call a "free-floating" minus sign. Without a nearby point of reference, (36) can look like (14) or (25). [Even if you were using the UEB symbols, which you should not do in a Nemeth transcription, (5, 36) is also ambiguous.] In the context of the subject matter, it will probably be clear that this is a minus sign. If you would like more clarity, the only solution I can find in our reference books is to borrow the spatial "minus sign within a circle" symbol from the Chemistry Code (3.4.2) which is used in spatial diagrams for exactly this purpose--to give clarity to the symbol. If you use this symbol (1246, 14, 36) I would also use the symbol for "plus sign within a circle" (1246, 14, 346). You can define these two symbols in a TN preceding the diagram.

I'm curious to know what you think about this idea. We are thinking outside the box!

Lindy

BeverlyN
    Participant

Yes...this is the issue I was having with these drawings. I appreciate your feedback. I consulted with our science teacher and asked his opinion on using the Chemistry Code symbols used in (3.4.2) for sake of clarity in the drawings for this chapter. He recommends using Nemeth Code plus and minus symbols. The instructor(s) will explain and clarify the minus symbol for these illustrations.

Thank you, Lindy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.