Elevation maps

Home Forums Tactile Graphics Elevation maps

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Are elevation maps that use color-coding for height reasonable for a student to read? How would we be able to make these graphics? On page 146 the example of color-coded elevation was done by layering various textures one on top of another. This turned out very well. But as you can see on page 147 this technique might prove difficult to read. And as you can read in the text most questions relate to elevation.
    Thank you,
    Susan

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

The new Tactile Graphics Guidelines (Unit 3) state that a single graphic should contain no more than five different area textures. Research from the GRASP study revealed that it was very difficult for the braille reader to clearly differentiate more than 5 textures on one graphic. It is also difficult for the graphic artist to present more than 5 different textures on one map.

The map on page 146 falls within the 5 texture limit. You would have to include the colors in the definitions in a key on Drawing C because the color is mentioned in the text.

The graphic on page 147 could be presented over several maps:
    - Map 1 an overview showing just the names of the coutntries, borders, ocean names and compass rose
    - Map 2 Burman with all the textures of elevation
    - Map 3 Vietnam with all the textures of elevation
    - Map 4 Cambodia with all the textures of elevation
    The colors would also have to be mentioned on the braille key because they are referred to in the text. You would also have to include a transcribers note telling the student the print map was being shown in 4 maps in braille.

Good luck! Diane

dspence

Thank you so much. I thought that maybe I could use the example of the rainfall map that was included in the Tactile Graphics Guidelines and combine some of the elevations. I see now that there would be still be too much information on the map for one graphic. Thanks again.
    Susan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.